This is another repurposing recipe. When I say recipe, I really mean more like guidelines for making something you need to get rid of look good. See another post for another similar trifle.
I had some leftover pound cake in the freezer and wanted to fix something with it and incorporate cheesecake….because who doesn’t like cheesecake. I also had some frozen strawberries and cool whip in the freezer. And so this trifle was born.
- Pound cake- about 6 cups cut into cubes*
- Frozen sliced strawberries- 6 cups**
- Cream cheese- 2 packages, 16 oz
- Cool whip- oz package
- Sugar- 2 cups, divided
- Mix strawberries with 1 cup of sugar. Microwave if they’re still frozen.
- Cream the cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar.
- Beat cool whip into cream cheese mixture.
- Cut up pound cake.
- Layer about half of the pieces of cake into the bottom of the trifle dish.
- Spoon about half of the strawberries on top of the cake.
- Spoon about half of the cream cheese mixture on top of the strawberries.
- Repeat layers.
- Optional- sprinkle the top with sprinkles.
*You could use pretty much any kind of cake that you want. I will sometimes use angel food and it works well too for trifles.
**You can use fresh strawberries if you have them and want to slice them. I was going for speed and what I had on hand. Also, it’s a really sweet dish, so if you don’t want that either eliminate or reduce the sugar for the strawberries.
Trifles are always a hit with the kids…anything pudding-like is a crowd pleaser at our house. Add sprinkles and your golden. This was part of our Christmas menu, so red and green sprinkles did the trick.
Again, the thing I like about trifles is that you can pretty much put anything in there that you want (or need to get rid of). Here’s a few idea variations as well.