Last night I made strawberry shortcake for dessert. And when I say I made strawberry shortcake, I mean Sam’s Club bakery made fresh pound cakes, which I sliced and served with fresh sliced strawberries, raspberries, and cool whip. Ok, I know it was lazy but it was still tasty and (best of all) easy.
I digress. I had leftover berries and pound cake and we had a party to go to. Put it in a parfait dish with some vanilla pudding and you’ve got one of the world’s easiest desserts. I’ve made many other versions of this before. See below.
I called it Berry Shortcake Parfait but I just made that up. It really should be called Dessert Leftover Surprise or Leftover Dessert Dump but neither of those sound appetizing and this really is just as tasty as it is easy. Plus, it’s a great way to use what you’ve got.
Ingredients (for the version I made today):
- 1 lb sliced strawberries
- 1/2 lb raspberries
- 2 small packages instant vanilla pudding – prepared takes 4 cups milk
- 1 pound cake cut into bite size pieces
- Cool whip (I prefer real whipped cream but needed to use the cool whip)
Layer cake, pudding, berries. Repeat. Top with whipped topping.
- Chocolate– Use brownies, chocolate pudding, chocolate chips. It will take more brownies and pudding since it is fruitless. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings to add some flair.
- Lemon– Use lemon or regular pound cake, lemon pie filling, vanilla pudding mix. Top with some lemon shavings if you want to be fancy.
- Patriotic– Use above berry recipe but make one layer blueberries. Make a star out of blueberries on the top.