Today, one of the things I aim to accomplish is to drink enough water. I live in a state of dehydration- most days running on coffee alone. Yes, I realize that this is terrible.
So…I’m working on it. I know on the days that I have consumed the right amount I feel soooooo much better. Why not do it every day, you may ask? I could come up with a million different reasons. None of them really all that great.In an effort to “talk myself” into drinking enough each day, I’m listing a few reasons of why I should get my daily quota:
- Humans are 60 percent water so it affects our digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature.
- Water is essential for the kidneys to function….so it makes sense that you’re more likely to get kidney stones if you don’t drink enough water. (both of these two reasons seem pretty crucial to well being….)
- When dehydrated, the skin can become more vulnerable to skin dryness and wrinkling (so, that explains my wrinkles…and I was pissed that my expensive skin care wasn’t working)
- Water is used to lubricate the joints (I can certainly feel the difference in my joints when I drink more- yes, already at 34 years old thanks to dehydration)
- Drinking water when you think you’re hungry may be the fix you need to avoid that unhealthy snack.
- Water is the cheapest drink you can get- even if you have buy it. Cha-Ching! Frugality in its simplest form right there.
If you don’t believe me, check it out at WebMD.
Here’s how I plan to help myself with this:
- Drink a big glass of water when I wake up before working out
- Drink another glass before I let myself have my first cup of coffee (I know this is going to be a hard one)
- Drink another glass before I have lunch
- Drink another glass before I have an afternoon cup of coffee or snack (can you tell I like coffee???)
- Drink another glass as I’m fixing dinner
- Drink another glass before bed
These are all big glasses so six should be plenty in combination with the fruits and vegetables that I regularly eat that also have water content. Did you notice there’s a bunch of befores in that list? Carrot and stick folks- thats the way I’ve got to roll with habit changes.
Here’s a few more things that I’ll be doing to help me:
- Use crystal light one or two times to keep it not so flavorless
- Drink warm water with lemon. This makes me feel classy. That may be weird but that’s ok.
- Have a yeti, knock-off yeti, or water bottle with you and full at any time.
- Drink a few sips after every call I make (since I’m in sales that’s a lot every day).
- Order water with lime from Sonic rather than a fountain drink. Or just avoid Sonic works too. Again, frugality and health often coincide.
- Eat healthy. Eating healthy makes you want to drink more water and drinking more water makes you want to eat healthier.
So now I guess I better go get back to drinking more water…
Stay hydrated, my friends!
For more info on Wellness and my Well Being journey check out my first Wellness Wednesday post.