Clara and Kate are now 8 months old. It’s hard to believe….
Except for their nursing habits, which are much changed from the early days. Here’s what I’ve observed so far with nursing twins older than 6 months:
- They have more trouble focusing.
- They still fit on the nursing pillow in the football hold for tandem nursing. It’s tight but it works.
- There is less room for them and one will sometimes grab the other. “You don’t need that eye, Kate” or “I love your hair, Clara. Let me grab a handful.”
- They don’t nurse as long- probably 10-15 minutes max now.
- During the week they nurse at 6:00 AM, 6:00 PM, and before bed between 8:00- 9:00 PM.
- At work, I pump at lunch time to try to keep my supply up but it’s really getting old at this point, considering I only make about 8 oz.
- My milk supply is starting to slowly wind down. Part of this is that I’m losing weight, eating healthier. I doubt they’re getting much but I’m ok with it since they get plenty from their bottles during the day and have also started solids. (Check out my adventures of making my own baby food part 1 and part 2.)
- I’m working towards cutting out nursing and pumping during the day this month. I’ve got mixed feelings since I know that this are my last babies to nurse.
- Clara has two teeth and hasn’t bit me once. Kate has no teeth and has bit me twice.
- Occasionally, I get the pleasure of nursing one at a time. They don’t know what to do for a few seconds in the cradle position by themselves though. Then it clicks and they look up at me adoringly. I love the cuddles. It sure makes my decision to stop nursing them a hard one.
Overall, I’m glad I’ve made it this far nursing twins and I’ve enjoyed the bonding but I also know it will be easier once we are finished. It’s always a challenge trying to balance priorities. I read a great post that helps with my “mommy guilt.” If you’re in a position like me maybe this all will help you.
For more on nursing twins check out my other posts: