It’s just not Independence Day if you don’t make something red, white, and blue. I scoured Pinterest, looking for a healthy patriotic dish that wasn’t a dessert. I happened upon this recipe for Blueberry, Strawberry & Jicama Salsa by Maria and Josh of Two Peas and Their Pod.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 lb fresh blueberries
- 1 jicama (mine was almost 1 lb), diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 small limes
Mix everything in a large bowl. Serve either cold or room temperature.
Garen really liked it and so did I. He said that the cilantro, pepper and lime offset the sweetness of the fruit very well. He even liked it with fish, even though he’s not a huge fish fan. He requested it for dinner tomorrow night so it must be good.