I’ve read lots of blogs and articles on what NOT to ask and/or say to a mom expecting twins but I’m pretty sure that people just ask or say whatever they can to keep conversation going.
There’s a good chance that all people ever know to talk to them about is:
- their cousin’s friend’s sister’s twins (or some similar situation)
- whether twins run in the family
- my favorite inappropriate question- were you using fertility drugs?- or something similarly intrusive
- and my favorite offensive question, asked mostly by men trying to make a joke- are you sure there’s only two in there?
Obviously, this not an all-inclusive list of things twin mommies-to-be are asked but you get the idea.
So here’s some ideas for the next time you talk to your future twin mommy:
- How are you feeling? (Do NOT say it in a sympathetic tone or make a face that makes them think they look miserable)
- How is (insert other child/children’s name(s) here)?
- Is (insert other child/children’s name(s) here) excited to be a big brother/sister?
- Do you have the nursery ready? (Unless you know that may be a sensitive topic)
- What is your favorite thing you’ve bought for the babies so far?
- Can I get you something to drink?
- Can I get you a seat? Or offer a seat.
- Tell her she looks nice. (Only if you can tell she feels like she looks nice. If unsure, just stay away from that.)
- Ask anything non-baby related, such as: work (unless it’s to ask if she’s going back to work after the baby), family, friends, the latest tv show or movie.
I’m just throwing some extra ideas out there for folks who know someone who is expecting two (or even more).
I know that before I got pregnant with two I probably asked my friends with twins a million questions that they’d been asked over and over again. Sorry for that, ladies!
People are curious. It’s natural. And if you’re the one being asked, the feeling is a cross between annoying and hilarious because it’s so predictable. But now, my friends, you are prepared to ask the questions that everyone forgets to ask. Go forth and be supportive to the twin mommy-to-be in your life.
What other topics of discussion do you have?
Find out more about how I survived my twin pregnancy: 8 Things that Helped Me Survive a Twin Pregnancy.
Today’s What the…. moment is brought to you by Clara and Kate’s preschool incident reports.
With two toddlers in preschool, incident reports are a fairly common occurrence. But…
Today we had three:
- Clara got bit going down the slide- How that happens I’m not sure.
- Clara was running, tripped, and scraped her knee.
- Kate was running, tripped, and face planted- resulting in this…
Does she look like she’s wearing it like a badge of honor??? “Look at me! I’ve got a super hard head.”
Thank goodness for those German genes I gave her. Bottlinger noggin to the rescue.
The big kids had Career Day at school today. The kids were encourage to come dressed up as what they want to be when they grow up.
Will wants to be an architect, Garen tried unsuccessfully to get him to rock the bow tie…
Anna, at first, wanted to be a witch, then a unicorn, then a rainbow, later a policewoman, a ballerina, a princess, and they finally settled on being a cowgirl. Good imagination, this one.
All this occurred while I was on an overnight trip to Houston for work. Is Garen the best/coolest daddy ever? I’d say so. And maybe the most patient too.
So first of all- sorry for not posting for a LONG time. Busy times around our house these days!
Every Monday seems to come and go without me posting. But today, as we opened ANOTHER box of diapers, I thought- I wonder how much I’ve spent on diapers???
And, you know what???
I have NO IDEA! That’s right. You know why???
- I don’t have time to keep up with.
- Why keep up with it when you have no other choice other than “letting them go” (and not in the Frozen kinda way) wherever they want until I feel ready to potty train?!?
So, with that said, the last round of diapers we bought were the Sam’s Club brand- Members Mark I think. Here’s my review of them and it will be pretty short because it’s 11:57 and if I want this to still be Mommy Review Monday rather than Tuesday, I better get after it….
- Price- about $3 cheaper a case than Pampers, which is what we used before….
- Quality- not very many blow-outs or leaks besides when we’ve had major loads, which, at that point, it wouldn’t matter the brand…
- Convenience- Sam’s club will ship to your house for free but we typically buy when we go to the store. In bulk- like 3-4 cases at a time….
- Cuteness- not as cute as others. I really do NOT care about this. To me, a diaper, is a diaper, is a diaper. To each their own though…
- Coupons- not really one that applies to me. I don’t coupon but, if you did, I don’t think you will ever find coupons for these.
Main point: If you have to buy as many diapers as I do- think twins- then these just might be a good way to save a little money and still maintain good quality.
Well, shoot! I got distracted and now it’s 12:11 AM. Officially Mommy Review Tuesday now. Don’t judge. Better late than never.